"Empty" Library and playlists, freeze on closing

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

fossphur

Re: "Empty" Library and playlists, freeze on closing

Post by fossphur »

I did have my phone on charge and have disconnected it. I haven't been using it as a media device but I bet it was detecting as one.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Tools > Options > Portable/Audio Device and deselect it if it's listed.
fossphur

Post by fossphur »

Having the phone unconnected didn't make any difference at all, I still wasn't able to get MM to close. I submitted a bug report but spent a bit of time after with debug view trying to see what was happening. I tried running media monkey as administrator and I think it made the log different in debug view. While I was running MM as admin, I decided to browse to the folder where my files are via the My Computer node and I let MM scan the directory fully. After that was complete, a "reading files" came up and it looked to be populating the library properly. However before I could see if this was the case, MM hung. This time I was able to close the process from task manager instead of the usual refusal of the process to end. I'm going to experiment more with running MM as administrator to see if that helps.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

fossphur wrote:I decided to browse to the folder where my files are via the My Computer node and I let MM scan the directory fully.
That doesn't add files to the Library, the My Computer node is also not using the Library. You need to run File > Add/Rescan Files to add files to the Library: http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... ibrary/4.0
fossphur

Post by fossphur »

http://i.imgur.com/qsUNt.jpg

I think we are having a communication problem, I am not explaining myself properly. I KNOW how to use media monkey. I know how to add/rescan files. What I was trying to explain was that I was browsing through media monkey to make sure the files were visible from inside media monkey, which they definitely are.

The linked pic is the result of a add/rescan showing that the library knows about my music files, but also fails to display any of them.

Plus I was listening to some stuff that I had browsed to via the other method, which is why there are files in the now playing window. You can see the path to the music files folder which is where I store the files that I want mediamonkey to index.

In version 3 I was able to get media monkey to play sid files too using a plugin (commodore 64 chiptunes) and I have mod/tracker files and midi files stored separately. That is why the root folder isn't the Music folder. I'd love to know if it is possible to play sid files in media monkey 4 but for now I'll just be happy to get back access to my flacs and mp3s.

I think I will have to make a new bug report for "Library says it contains files but will not show them to me" because this proves that the database isn't actually empty.
Last edited by fossphur on Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Now that is useful information. I first suggest to run File > Maintain Library with complete optimization enabled. If that fails to change things open a support ticket with a link to this topic and offer your DB as something has gone wrong with your DB: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... &_a=submit
fossphur

Post by fossphur »

Thanks for your persistence Lowlander - I am trying a complete optimise right now. It isn't looking good though. I know its easy to be impatient while waiting for longer database operations but it really seems like it might have hung. I'll give it longer just in case.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

This process can take a long time, however as your DB may have corruptions it could have hung. I'd let it set for several hours and cancel (may have to force close MediaMonkey) if it still isn't finished. Then offering DB to support is the only thing left to do.
fossphur

Post by fossphur »

.... aaaaand I just worked out why I start humming Dire Straits Brothers in Arms to myself every time I check back in this thread for a reply. :lol:
fossphur

Post by fossphur »

I *think* I may have got my library uncorrupted, despite the freeze up on that last optimize that I did. I restarted my PC and now the library is populated and so are my playlists. But it only all seems to work if I make sure to run MediaMonkey as Administrator. I feel like this shouldn't be necessary but maybe that's what I did last time when the library got lost and then came good?

Anyone else had problems if not doing a right click->run as administrator?