aif Tags

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

adamlove

aif Tags

Post by adamlove »

Hi, I've seen so many posts about .aif, supporting/not supporting etc - dating back well over a decade, close to two, but can't really find an answer.

Can someone please tell me how I can write tags to aif files? It currently seems it's not doing so.
Peke

Re: aif Tags

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Aiff do theoretically support tags https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_Int ... t#Metadata but as there is no definite standard and its implementation is possibly not fully supported in MM due high risk of regressions and no support from other programs and apps on portable devices. We implemented that most apps support see AIFF work on MM https://tinyurl.com/bdha7mvr

Except Apple (mostly) FLAC is more acceptable format and widely accepted, so it is recommended, unless AIFF is used in specific works.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
adamlove

Post by adamlove »

Thanks for your help Peke.

The AIF files I created since late 2000s were readable by pretty much every music apps, such as rekordbox, pioneer equipment, VirtualDJ, Mixed In Key, and mediamonkey.

I bought the full gold license and codecs, however upon using Mediamonkey to clean up the AIF tags, it has ruined the tags altogether. The artist, etc, is blank, and won't show up in Mixed In Key or VirtualDJ. I'm sure you can appreciate that this is very much a real, material regression.

The name, artist, etc is sitting there in Mediamonkey - I just need it to write the artist, bpm (basic info) back to the tag.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Huh, I completely understand and assuming all is true, you are right it needs deeper analyze.
Re apps: all you listed apps you mentioned lean thru Apple products and around Apple support, so it is the reasonable they have support for AIFF. As pointed it is questionable what type they support. That said, I would suggest that you open Support Ticket, supply DL link to your MM5.DB and two versions of same file (one saved by other apps and one saved by MM). That would give us starting point to see what standard difference is in question.

Thank you, I hope we can get to bottom of this.
Best regards,
Peke
adamlove

Post by adamlove »

Thanks for your help with this. It turns out a number of my audio files (which date back from early 2000) have faulty tags. I've run them through MP3Val, which seems to be doing the trick to repair the mp3s for the most part.

I have also noticed this error when importing info from iTunes:
photo host

With relation to the AIFs, I've tried to use mediamonkey to convert them to AIFFs, whilst deleting the originals, however it doesn't seem to fix the problematic tags.

Q1. Where can I get a list of the 'tag update failed' errors? I'm running MM5 on windows and can't seem to see any log file within the directory with .mm5 file.
photo host

Q2. Any suggestion as to what to do from here in relation to the AIF files? Given I'm now at the stage of re-encoding them, would converting to FLAC (or another format) solve the issue without losing any further audio data? Perhaps there's another lossless format with tags that is supported/backwards compatible with iTunes (which doesn't support FLAC). What would you do in this scenario?

Thanks once again for your help, and hopefully others find this useful in the future too.
Peke

Post by Peke »

adamlove wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:08 pm It turns out a number of my audio files (which date back from early 2000) have faulty tags.
If you stumble on few that are still not fixed please send DL link to us for sampling and analyze, maybe we can figure out some auto fixer (like we did with FLAC and ID3 tags which are not allowed in FLAC). At least we will be able to better document issues. FYI many things were not standardized in late 90s/early 00s, so no surprise there.
adamlove wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:08 pm Q1. Where can I get a list of the 'tag update failed' errors? I'm running MM5 on windows and can't seem to see any log file within the directory with .mm5 file.
In order to have log you need to follow steps from viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643 so that we can see what is wrong and what files fail. Should be even easy for you to find those as info on bad tagging should be in the log as shown in MM5 UI.
adamlove wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:08 pm Q2. Any suggestion as to what to do from here in relation to the AIF files? Given I'm now at the stage of re-encoding them, would converting to FLAC (or another format) solve the issue without losing any further audio data? Perhaps there's another lossless format with tags that is supported/backwards compatible with iTunes (which doesn't support FLAC). What would you do in this scenario?
FLAC is also lossless format and unless your AIFF files are in 32/64 Bit you should convert them without any Audio data loss. Also FLAC is free and natively supported thru many devices including Apple iPhones (unofficially)

Glad we at least found what was the cause. Thank you for the patience.
Best regards,
Peke
adamlove

Post by adamlove »

Thank you so much for your help with this.
I will send a google drive link via support to a few of the mp3s so they can be looked into a little further.