MMA Keeps sticking at end of playing track after updating track properties [#19757]

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

F1nchy

MMA Keeps sticking at end of playing track after updating track properties [#19757]

Post by F1nchy »

Often after I update a tracks' properties (I often edit the genre, add a rating and often notes in the composer line to add tempo, mood, occasion, etc after syncing it back to MM5) the track plays to the end, but when it gets to 0:00 it just carries on as though it is playing the track but nothing happens, it just stays like that. I can't end the track or skip to the next, or start a new album/playlist, etc. The only way I can resolve it is to reboot the phone, and I'm having to do this three or four times a day.

It's been happening for a few weeks now and it's quite irritating! I'm guessing that it's something to do with saving the changes back to the file and it getting stuck or something?

I use MMA all the time for doing this so I can update tracks for my smart playlists so it's not really something I can do without.

Has anyone else has a similar issue?
rusty

Re: MMA Keeps sticking at end of playing track after updating track properties

Post by rusty »

Hi,

Thanks for the report!

Can you clarify a couple of issues?
- What version of MMW are you using?
- What version of MMA are you using and what device / version of Android?
- what format are the audio tracks in MMW?
- are you syncing the tracks to MMA using Wi-Fi sync?
- are the tracks being auto-converted during the sync operation?
- where are you editing the tracks--in MMW or MMA?

Note: even without answers to the above, I suspect that the issue is unrelated to the edits you made, and is resolved in MMA Beta 2.0.0.1061.

-Rusty
F1nchy

Post by F1nchy »

rusty wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:27 am Hi,

Thanks for the report!

Can you clarify a couple of issues?
- What version of MMW are you using?
- What version of MMA are you using and what device / version of Android?
- what format are the audio tracks in MMW?
- are you syncing the tracks to MMA using Wi-Fi sync?
- are the tracks being auto-converted during the sync operation?
- where are you editing the tracks--in MMW or MMA?

Note: even without answers to the above, I suspect that the issue is unrelated to the edits you made, and is resolved in MMA Beta 2.0.0.1061.

-Rusty
Thanks Rusty

- What version of MMW are you using? - MMW 5.0.4.2690
- What version of MMA are you using and what device / version of Android? - MMA v 2.0.0.1061, running on a Google Pixel 6 Pro, Android v13
- what format are the audio tracks in MMW? - Most of them are FLACs, but I do still have some mp3s in my collection
- are you syncing the tracks to MMA using Wi-Fi sync? - Yes
- are the tracks being auto-converted during the sync operation? - Yes, they are being auto-converted, to 320 CBR MP3
- where are you editing the tracks--in MMW or MMA? I add notes in MMA on my phone as I listen and then use MM5 to update properly, so editing in both, but the issue only occurs on the phone and not relating to when it's syncing AFAIK

I use smart playlists to create all my playlists for listening (and also for rating), and I have a number of smart playlists that look out for things that I have added to the 'Composer' tag in MMA (as none of the mood, tempo, etc are available in MMA so that's the only place I can add them temporarily to sync back to MM5). I sync my phone periodically to MM5 on my laptop which than updates all the tags in my main MM5 DB and syncs back new tracks that to not yet have ratings, etc, and they then show up in the editing smart playlists, and I can then use the notes made in Composer to update the tags I want (such as tempo, mood, occasion, change custom tags, etc) plus do edits, etc (such as trimming off silence, adding fades on tracks, etc).

It is syncing back ok and all the changes made on the phone seem to sync back to MM5, it's just this regularly having to reboot the phone because MMA is getting stuck at the end of a track (I noticed that the end time stays at 0:00 but the start/length time continues beyond the track length and keeps going until I stop the track, but even then I can't play anything else without rebooting.
rusty

Post by rusty »

Thanks for the detailed info. It sounds like it might be another example of https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=19639

One question though about:
plus do edits, etc (such as trimming off silence, adding fades on tracks, etc).
Can you clarify what you mean? Are you editing the audio file on your Windows PC in an external app like Audacity, and then resyncing the edited file with MM Wi-Fi Sync?

Thanks!

-Rusty
F1nchy

Post by F1nchy »

I think I've confused you with the editing thing, I just mentioned that as I was explaining my process for updating and maintaining my music.

I don't do any audio editing in MMA or on the phone, all I do on the phone is, as I am listening to a track I go to Properties and amend the genre if necessarily, and I add various text to composer tag.

Then, when I periodically sync the phone to MM5 on my laptop, it syncs those tag changes back, and I have some smart playlists set up to identify things added to that tag, and I manually go through the playlists adding the relevant tempo, moods, occasions and anything else I want to add, for example if I want to add it to my running playlists I have custom tag for that, if there is silence at the end of a track that needs removing, a track needs fading out, that sort of thing.

When it comes to editing audio I do it very occasionally (every few months or so) and it's simply taking a copy of the file, removing the silence, adding a fade, whatever is needed, in Ocenaudio (I find it quicker than Audacity, which I used to use), save it, use MP3-Tag to copy and paste the tag data from the orginal file to the newly editing one and then drop the new one on top of the old one (with MM5 running and set to watch for any changes, etc).

So for the issue I have been experiencing it has nothing to do with any audio editing, or the syncing back to MM5, it only happens after updating an indivual tracks' tags in MMA, and not all the time.

Interestingly, I had it happen two within an hour this morning (both times needing a phone reboot), but I looked at my settings in MMA and under the Lookup & Scrobble settings I unticked the looking missing album art (keeping lookup missing lyrics and update databases still ticked as before) and have been playing without any crashing in the last five hours.

I don't know what MMA does behind the scenes, but could it be the saving the missing album art that is causing my particular issue? Does it save it back to the audio file, or in a cache ready to sync back to MM5?

I'll keep an eye on it and feed back on how it performs with that artwork option disabled.
F1nchy

Post by F1nchy »

Gah! It's been fine all day and then just did it again! Not that then!
rusty

Post by rusty »

Thanks again for the clarification. Since it's it's happening kind of randomly, it might be that the association with metadata edits is coincidental? (other similar reports make no mention of such edits). Anyhow, we're looking into this...

To answer your question: re artwork lookups they're saved to a cache/DB in MMA rather than to a tag.

Two more questions:
1) Are you playing over bluetooth? If yes, do you have Options > Playback > Resume Play on Connection enabled?
2) No one else described playback getting permanently broken until a device reboot. If you set MMA Options > UI > Show in notifications bar = 0 AND when the bug occurs perform either of the following, does playback work afterwards?
a) close MediaMonkey (i.e. swipe the app UP in 'recent apps')?
b) force close MediaMonkey (i.e. Tap-hold MMA icon > 'i' > 'Force Stop')?

-Rusty
F1nchy

Post by F1nchy »

Thanks, responses below....
rusty wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:47 pm Thanks again for the clarification. Since it's it's happening kind of randomly, it might be that the association with metadata edits is coincidental? (other similar reports make no mention of such edits). Anyhow, we're looking into this...

To answer your question: re artwork lookups they're saved to a cache/DB in MMA rather than to a tag.

Two more questions:
1) Are you playing over bluetooth? If yes, do you have Options > Playback > Resume Play on Connection enabled? - Yes, always playing over bluetooth (either to a Sonos Roam, Sony headphones or car bluetooth). I did have it on autoresume but I recently disabled that as I found that whenever I reconnected to a speaker it would play from MMA even if the last thing I was listening to was Spotify or BBC Sounds, so for the last few weeks, not, disabled (and it was happening before as well)
2) No one else described playback getting permanently broken until a device reboot. If you set MMA Options > UI > Show in notifications bar = 0 AND when the bug occurs perform either of the following, does playback work afterwards?
a) close MediaMonkey (i.e. swipe the app UP in 'recent apps')?
b) force close MediaMonkey (i.e. Tap-hold MMA icon > 'i' > 'Force Stop')?
I'll check next time it happens and report back. It's been ok so far this morning, so disabling the find missing artwork seems to have reduced it happening

-Rusty
Andre_H

Post by Andre_H »

rusty wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:47 pm Thanks again for the clarification. Since it's it's happening kind of randomly, it might be that the association with metadata edits is coincidental? (other similar reports make no mention of such edits). Anyhow, we're looking into this...
I'm going to add myself here because I have the same error (really often). As described above, I often edit ratings, genre, etc. when listening to MMA, and MMA crashes at least once per session: Some day all 10mins.
  • The GUI freezes. Music continues to play, but no information about the current track etc. is shown when changing tracks, the play counters are not updated, etc.. Skip/Pause-Buttons don't respond then.
  • Restart the app via App Center and "force close" required.
  • Happening since 2.0.0.x and unchanged through previous updates..
  • In some cases, i had a freezing "edit properties dialog", if that helps ....
  • Seems to be significantly more common when changing tags than just listening to music, but have experienced it just listening too.
Since there is no crash message or anything like that, I'm not sure if an MMA log right after the "force close" would help?
- MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 2016 # only essential addons # my 24/7 media server
- MMW MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 10 # playing, testing skins & addons # my desktop app
- MMA Pro (2.0.0.1063) on Android 10, 11, 12 Phones & Tabs # WiFi Sync # playing

- MP3Tag, MP3Diags, MP3DirectCut, IrfanView
rusty

Post by rusty »

Hi,

It _would_ help if you submitted crashlogs when you restart MMA right after a crash (please share the log ID here). But please update to MMA 2.0.0.1063 beforehand (there have been fixes to the Properties dialog since 1054)!

btw, are either/both of you using the 'Resume on play' option and/or playing over Bluetooth? I'm asking because I replicated a problem similar to what F1nchy described in which the player would play silently beyond the end of a track, but it's related to 'Resume play on connection'/Bluetooth.

Thanks!

-Rusty
Andre_H

Post by Andre_H »

Hi rusty,
rusty wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:59 am btw, are either/both of you using the 'Resume on play' option and/or playing over Bluetooth?
"resume on play"=no, "playing over bluetooth"=yes for me.
rusty wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:59 am I replicated a problem similar to what F1nchy described in which the player would play silently beyond the end of a track,
but if i get F1nchy correct (and for me i'm sure) then the player here continues to play, the GUI is just kind of frozen then.

i'll send a log next time it occours.
- MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 2016 # only essential addons # my 24/7 media server
- MMW MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 10 # playing, testing skins & addons # my desktop app
- MMA Pro (2.0.0.1063) on Android 10, 11, 12 Phones & Tabs # WiFi Sync # playing

Andre_H

Post by Andre_H »

Log ID: 6YR2QHGNYW
Description: App freeze during Bluetooth playing

Played and edited tags of one track, after that MMA played the next tracks, but becomes unresponsive: Plays track #2, GUI still shows cover and info from track #1, skip/pause/stop doesn't respond.

I forced an app shutdown and send the log. Let me know, if i can bring further information.

rusty

Post by rusty »

Thanks! Tracked at https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=19757

-Rusty

p.s. I was able to replicate the issue but only once. Still having trouble figuring out the exact replication steps...
Andre_H

Re: MMA Keeps sticking at end of playing track after updating track properties [#19757]

Post by Andre_H »

Would more logs help? I can trigger the problem relatively often simply by listening to music.
On 3 devices, Android 10/11 & 12.
Last night alone while listening to music for 2 hours I had to force close MMA 4 times.

Could it have something to do with MMA often runs in the background for me when I'm surfing while listening to music?

Andre_H

Re: MMA Keeps sticking at end of playing track after updating track properties [#19757]

Post by Andre_H »

New Log ID: X3TE7ASI7P

This time the "freeze" occurs after moving a track in the playing queue.