Disable Media Info Popup when Media Keys are Pressed

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Aaroneus

Disable Media Info Popup when Media Keys are Pressed

Post by Aaroneus »

As the title says, I want to Disable Media Info Popup when Media Keys are Pressed.

There is an option in Mediamonkey Options : Player : pop-up file info for ....
This is unchecked so I don't get the annoying tray pop-up for every song change.

However, on my new computer with Windows 10 and MMW5, I get this annoying pop-up with a miniplayer on the upper-left whenever I change the volume or press play/pause on my mouse's or keyboard's media control buttons.

My Win7 computers with MMW4 didn't have this problem.

It's completely unwanted, unneeded, and in the way!

How do I disable that annoying pop-up?
Lowlander

Re: Disable Media Info Popup when Media Keys are Pressed

Post by Lowlander »

This is a Windows thing. I'm not sure if Windows has a way to disable this.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Only way to disable that OSD is remove Most of Windows API Media support in MM (not recommend and not permanent as you need to do that on each MM update) or use third party app like HideVolumeOSD.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Aaroneus

Post by Aaroneus »

Yeah, okay, I checked a microsoft forum and they said basically the same thing. Apps (like yours and most others) link into a Windows 10 API and throws up these annoying and unwanted pop-ups. The morons at Microsoft didn't think that some people wouldn't want this, so there is no option in Windows to disable it.

That forum post (https ://answers.microsoft. com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disable-pop-up-media-notifications-when-using/7ff9f073-eb58-4d28-a587-8a5f518cc15c) indicated that there should be a way for apps to provide an option to disable these, but you indicate that it (somehow) comes as a package with the poorly designed and/or implemented Windows API, so I'll hunt a bit for a workout 3rd party solution like you linked to.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Aaroneus wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:04 am but you indicate that it (somehow) comes as a package with the poorly designed and/or implemented Windows API,
I meant that if you delete MM implementation of handling Windows Media API it will not show the Volume OSD, but that will cripple MM to use Windows Media API functions and thus not trigger OSD :(

You can try to temporarily remove MediaMonkeyMT.dll from the MediaMonkey install folder whether it has an impact on the issue?

NOTE: That API do not handle only Media Keys so other things may get broken after removing it.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Yes, removing MediaMonkeyMT.dll from the MediaMonkey install folder should do the trick. Maybe we could really make this configurable for a future version. I''ll enter this as issue to Mantis.