MM4 Locate Moved/Missing problem

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

TroubleClef

MM4 Locate Moved/Missing problem

Post by TroubleClef »

I moved my music files to a new Synology NAS. I have it set for a fixed IP address. When I open MM4 and try to use Locate Moved/Missing Files to point it to the new location it scans but finds nothing.

I must be missing something simple but don't know what it is.
MMW Gold Lifetime user

MMA beta tester
Peke

Re: MM4 Locate Moved/Missing problem

Post by Peke »

Hi,
What do you see in scan result where are files listed, Not Found, not moved, Update Location?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
TroubleClef

Post by TroubleClef »

Peke wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 7:13 am Hi,
What do you see in scan result where are files listed, Not Found, not moved, Update Location?
Hi, thanks. All the files are listed in the Unlocatable files tab, the other two tabs are empty.
MMW Gold Lifetime user

MMA beta tester
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Then you'll need to remove the files from the Library and rescan. You could try MediaMonkey 5 to see if it does find a match.
TroubleClef

Post by TroubleClef »

Lowlander wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 2:28 pm Then you'll need to remove the files from the Library and rescan. You could try MediaMonkey 5 to see if it does find a match.
Remove from library as in, select all and delete? Then redo the Locate Moved or Missing?
MMW Gold Lifetime user

MMA beta tester
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

No, it's either or. You either remove and rescan or try Locate Moved/Missing Files with MediaMonkey 5.
TroubleClef

Post by TroubleClef »

Lowlander wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:18 pm No, it's either or. You either remove and rescan or try Locate Moved/Missing Files with MediaMonkey 5.
Any ideas why this isn't working though? I turned off scanning before I used Locate Moved/Missing Files. Deleting the library or changing software entirely seem like last resort type actions.

I went through something similar a couple months ago when I had to change the IP address of my old NAS and the Locate Moved/Missing worked fine.
MMW Gold Lifetime user

MMA beta tester
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

No, not really. Duplicate scanning not done could have an impact as does changed filenames.
TroubleClef

Post by TroubleClef »

Lowlander wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 8:03 pm No, not really. Duplicate scanning not done could have an impact as does changed filenames.
What does "duplicate scanning not done" mean?

I haven't changed any file names, just moved the files to a different NAS so I was using Locate Moved/ Missing to update the path.
MMW Gold Lifetime user

MMA beta tester
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I believe when you scan for duplicates that it can help this process. Otherwise it relies on simple filename matches. Are you sure you selected the files to be found and looked in the right location? I'm not aware there were any issues with this in MediaMonkey 4.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
What Lowlander wanted to say is that in three cases all tracks you want to relocate show in Unlocatable tracks result is:

1. Tracks filenames are changed outside MM and MM locate can't find tracks with same filename and length anywhere is searched path. To confirm that check filename and size of one file you are 100% sure it is there on new path is 99.5% same as one grayed in MM library.

2. You already scanned new path into MM library, as MM skips any files with withing new scanned path will be ignored in order not to have two files with same filename and path scanned. To check that Use Music -> Location and see if library contain tracks new path and be able to play them whil files from old path do not play.

3. Tracks are really not found, which is very very rare. When all tracks that needs to be located are not found, usually at least some are found.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
TroubleClef

Post by TroubleClef »

Lowlander wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:42 pm I believe when you scan for duplicates that it can help this process. Otherwise it relies on simple filename matches. Are you sure you selected the files to be found and looked in the right location? I'm not aware there were any issues with this in MediaMonkey 4.
Your question about the location prompted me to rethink it and it seems that was the problem. With my previous NAS the file path included the IP address so that's what I was trying with new NAS, but with more experimentation with the new NAS it seems that using the drive name and no IP address works instead. Go figure... Not sure which is the "correct" way to handle it, but so far this seems to work.

Thanks for helping me think that through.
MMW Gold Lifetime user

MMA beta tester
TroubleClef

Post by TroubleClef »

Peke wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:34 pm Hi,
What Lowlander wanted to say is that in three cases all tracks you want to relocate show in Unlocatable tracks result is:

1. Tracks filenames are changed outside MM and MM locate can't find tracks with same filename and length anywhere is searched path. To confirm that check filename and size of one file you are 100% sure it is there on new path is 99.5% same as one grayed in MM library.

2. You already scanned new path into MM library, as MM skips any files with withing new scanned path will be ignored in order not to have two files with same filename and path scanned. To check that Use Music -> Location and see if library contain tracks new path and be able to play them whil files from old path do not play.

3. Tracks are really not found, which is very very rare. When all tracks that needs to be located are not found, usually at least some are found.
Thank you. See my response above. It seems to work now, although I'm not sure if it's "correct" or not.
MMW Gold Lifetime user

MMA beta tester