MMW5 crashing on startup: Sensitive to the display?

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

gordol

MMW5 crashing on startup: Sensitive to the display?

Post by gordol »

Is it possible that MMW5 is sensitive to the display being used?

MMW5 on this PC used to be mostly stable. Displays were dual monitor, one 1440P monitor in Landscape and one 1080P monitor in portrait. Windows 10, Intel I3 CPU, 16GB RAM, and an on-board integrated Intel GPU. I then moved this PC from my desk to my living room and connected it to my TV. TV is 4K, but with the display scaling needed to be able to read text, MMW would flake out and not display videos correctly on zoomed displays, so I "dumbed down" the output resolution to 1440P. In theory, should look the same to the apps as before when on the 1440p display. Cable in both locations is HDMI.

And now MMW5 is crashing left and right when starting it up. At least half the time.

I have now installed the Debug version so I can catch a debug log the next time it happens.
Lowlander

Re: MMW5 crashing on startup: Sensitive to the display?

Post by Lowlander »

Which Build (Help > About if you can launch) of MediaMonkey are you using?

You can try running MediaMonkey_NoGPU.bat and see if that proves more stable.
gordol

Post by gordol »

MMW 5.0.4.2690, Debug version now. Only difference is the debug version installed over production ...2690.
Waiting for a startup crash so I can get the log.

It does open; a restart of the program when it crashes opens normally.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

A debug log send to support will work too.
gordol

Post by gordol »

Since installing the debug version of 2690, I have not yet had a crash. I have always found it nigh impossible to replicate program crashes with the debug versions. I have also generally found them, and now very noticeably, slower than the non-debug versions. This makes me wonder if it's a timing/race issue in the processes somewhere, where the debug version is slower in order to write the data that dbgview picks up and thus completely avoids the timing / race condition that causes the non-debug version to crash on startup. And it's somehow connected to the HDMI with my TV. Because as previously noted, the same copy of MMW5 on this same Win10 PC was basically rock solid when it was connected to my computer monitors instead.

The debug version is slower to show the program window when launched, slower to scan on startup for new / changed media, and slower to sync with MMA.

I just had a thought, but it will take me a few days before I can put it to the test. The HDMI to the TV is via two 4ft cables in serial through an inline junction. I'll need to get a longer cable and see if that makes any difference.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
gordol wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:19 pm The debug version is slower to show the program window when launched, slower to scan on startup for new / changed media, and slower to sync with MMA.
Out tests found that speed is same (withing 1-2% margin) if DBGview is not started, but if DBGview is started or you have any other system Debug MSG monitor it is possible to be slower due the issue that those apps needs to handle those messages. Yes Startup is bit slower due the init of debug system, but after startup it should be almost the same.
gordol wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:19 pm I just had a thought, but it will take me a few days before I can put it to the test. The HDMI to the TV is via two 4ft cables in serial through an inline junction. I'll need to get a longer cable and see if that makes any difference.
I really doubt that 4ft cable is issue, unless it is very very low quality and you do not push 4k+@120hz.

Please let us know the results.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
gordol

Post by gordol »

Peke wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 6:16 am Out tests found that speed is same (withing 1-2% margin) if DBGview is not started, but if DBGview is started or you have any other system Debug MSG monitor it is possible to be slower due the issue that those apps needs to handle those messages. Yes Startup is bit slower due the init of debug system, but after startup it should be almost the same.
OK. I am currently only using it with DBGView running. But I have noticed it takes a noticeable amount of time longer to scan for new media than the non-debug version.
I really doubt that 4ft cable is issue, unless it is very very low quality and you do not push 4k+@120hz.
Plans to get a new cable went haywire, it'll be a bit longer before I can do that.

Thing is, as stated in the post opener, MMW5 on this PC has been stable. I then moved it to the living room replacing another one where I was having stability issues. And now this one has stability issues. The only change to the setup on this PC is the display device and connection.

TV is a 4K unit, but because of MMW apparently not liking zoomed displays, I'm running it at 1440p instead, and my PC won't drive it above 60hz, maybe. (60Hzt on this TV gives me a headache so I run it at 30 anyway). (4k zoomed to 150% gives me the same effective resolution as 1440p.)
gordol

Post by gordol »

Debug version of MMW5 so far is not crashing on startup, with or without BDGView running.
revenge

Post by revenge »

I´ve been having a similar issue. Since I changed my screen to a 3440x1440 I have not been able to run MMW5... It starts, seems to start scanning, and then goes to white...
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Please capture this in a debug log (step 4b) and attach the log to a Support Ticket: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=86643

After that can you try running MediaMonkey_NoGPU.bat to see if that fixes the problem for you?
gordol

Post by gordol »

revenge wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:42 am I´ve been having a similar issue. Since I changed my screen to a 3440x1440 I have not been able to run MMW5... It starts, seems to start scanning, and then goes to white...
Are you using a zoom factor in your system Display Settings? I need to keep mine at 100% or MMW5 doesn't display videos correctly.
revenge

Post by revenge »

I have a dual display set up, and I had some zoom on the secondary display. Changed it back to 100%, and it actually seemed to run longer than usually, but it finally went to white.. so it didn´t help (but thanks for the idea)! :)
revenge

Post by revenge »

Lowlander wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:49 pm Please capture this in a debug log (step 4b) and attach the log to a Support Ticket: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=86643

After that can you try running MediaMonkey_NoGPU.bat to see if that fixes the problem for you?
Done the report. Tried the noGPU, but same thing. I run into a white screen...
Thanks!
Roberto
gordol

Post by gordol »

gordol wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 10:24 am Plans to get a new cable went haywire, it'll be a bit longer before I can do that.

Thing is, as stated in the post opener, MMW5 on this PC has been stable. I then moved it to the living room replacing another one where I was having stability issues. And now this one has stability issues. The only change to the setup on this PC is the display device and connection.

TV is a 4K unit, but because of MMW apparently not liking zoomed displays, I'm running it at 1440p instead, and my PC won't drive it above 60hz, maybe. (60Hzt on this TV gives me a headache so I run it at 30 anyway). (4k zoomed to 150% gives me the same effective resolution as 1440p.)
Got the single 6ft cable. No change with the debug version. Reinstalled the regular version on top and it was fine for a few launches, and noticeably faster to launch and scan, btw. Then last night it crashed on startup.