New to MMA, having sync issues, how to start over

Get answers about the current release of MediaMonkey for Android

Moderator: Gurus

ngtcman

New to MMA, having sync issues, how to start over

Post by ngtcman »

I've just tried syncing a new MMA Pro installation with my stable MM5 system. I had problems and took several bites at it and I'm not happy with the outcome (missing files, some files in incorrect folders).

1. What do I need to do to wipe the MMA database and content completely so I can start over?

2. Is there any reporting feature I can use to audit the MMA files and database to see differences from the MM5 masters?

3. I tried deleting folders that had acquired incorrect names and resynching those specific locations but the resync repeated the errors. Is there a way to delete pre-existing sync data and generate a new set? Will this result in everything being downloaded again or just the diffs?

4. Can I download the media files to the SD card on my PC first, then use MMA sync just to create the database, to speed up the sync process which takes an age over wi-fi?
Lowlander

Re: New to MMA, having sync issues, how to start over

Post by Lowlander »

1) I believe MediaMonkey\Files\mmstore.db

2) No

3) Then check the settings for Sync as it's likely causing the problem.

4) Yes, and do a wi-fi Sync afterwards.
ngtcman

Post by ngtcman »

Thanks Lowlander, a fresh install got me there.

A critical step was deleting the devices entries in MM5 after I spotted that the phone had somehow been registered twice, once as 'XQ-CQ54 Internal shared storage' and 'XQ-CQ54 disk', and secondly as 'Sony XQ-CQ54 Internal shared storage' and 'Sony XQ-CQ54 disk'. I'd set one up correctly, but the other, which I was then unaware of, just had the default values in it, hence repeatedly generating the wrong folders.

It is unclear how the phone registered twice, but there may be a clue in that MMA sees itself as syncing 'XQ...' whereas MM5 sees the phone as 'Sony XQ...' in the device list.

A further complication arose after I started the reinstall because the initial file copy brought some empty folders across from my NAS drive. I believe these are residue from past library edits where folder names have been changed in MM4 or MM5. It seems like the folder contents were transferred to the new location but the now empty folder wasn't deleted. Is this a known historic issue with MM4/5?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It depends on how files are moved, for example Auto-Organize Files has an option to remove emptied folders.