TDAT TDRC frames

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

Idealize

TDAT TDRC frames

Post by Idealize »

Do I have to add this to .ini file so that my Winamp can read the year in ID3v2.3 tag? I did it for MM3 and 4.

Code: Select all

[MP3Tagging]
DisableFrames=TDAT;TDRC
EnableFrames=TYER
Peke

Re: TDAT TDRC frames

Post by Peke »

Hi,
In MM5 tag options you can choose if you would like to use 2.3 or 2.4 tags and yes that ini settings are still valid.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Idealize

Post by Idealize »

Hi,
so which should I select in my case: 2.3 or 2.4? And if I select the correct one, I won't need to add code to the ini file?
And what about MM4 – same as MM5 or as MM3?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You'll have to check with WinAmp if they have any specific requirements. Default settings should the trick with most other applications.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
You need to add to INI if you want to choose which one MM will Write.

MM4/MM3 prefers 2.3+some 2.4 in 2.3 Format
MM5 defaults to 2.4

I think that Winamp reads both, but for wanted results you tweak things in INI.

EDIT: You need to find Right combination.

HINT: Use right click -> Edit Tags -> Update Tags to make sure changes are applied right away.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Idealize

Post by Idealize »

I am sorry, but I am still confused, please bear with me. I used to have this problem with MM3, so I had to add that code to the ini file. The explanation and solution was as follows:
MediaMonkey 3, by default saves Year and Date metadata in ID3 v2.3 tags to TYER / TDRC frames. Although this is generally a good approach for maximum compatibility, some users may wish to change this since TDRC is normally associated with ID3 v2.4 tags and Winamp will not read the TDRC field for an ID3v2.3 tag. This can be done by adding to MediaMonkey's .ini file this code.

This explanation is not perfectly clear, but most probably it means that for Winamp to correctly read the year, MM must write year either
1) only to TYER frames in v2.3 (not to TYER/TDRC),
or
2) to TYER/TDRC frames in v2.4 tags.

Is my understanding correct?

If correct, the question is: In MM4 and MM5, to make MM do either 1) or 2), what should be done: select the correct setting in "Store MP3 file properties" (which one?) or adding the code to the ini file, like I did for MM3, or both?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Are you having issues reading this in WinAmp? If you don't, you probably no longer need to change this.
Idealize

Post by Idealize »

I used to have this problem with MM3. In MM4 I took no risk and added the code to the ini file. Yes, I tried changing the settings and there seems to be no problem either with v2.3 or v2.4. in MM5. But looks like I'll have to go back to MM4 (no. So I decided that I'd finally set the record straight. If the issue is too complicated, all right, I'll just keep adding the code to the ini file.